Elimination Diet Day 9
A great way to use up leftover rice (or any other grain) is fried rice! A versatile recipe, you can use any veggies and protein that you like, which makes it a great “use whatever’s in the fridge” recipe. Inspired by Kate Scarlata’s quinoa “fried rice,” I whipped this up fairly quick and was pleased with the results!
Low FODMAP Fried Rice
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 package firm tofu, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 4-6 cups pre-cooked brown rice, refrigerated or at room temp
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked in a small bowl
- Garnish: green onions, thinly sliced, green part only
- Heat 3 Tablespoons sesame oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and fry until lightly browned, flipping occasionally with a spatula. If you have a splatter guard for your skillet, this is a good time to use it!
- Remove tofu from skillet. Return skillet to heat, add remaining 1 Tablespoon oil (there should also be a little oil left in the pan from the tofu). Add bell pepper, carrots, and zucchini and cover. Sauté until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Return skillet to heat. Add rice and soy sauce and stir to coat.
- Create a “well” in the center of the skillet. Add eggs and scramble until almost completely firm. Mix rice with egg and cook for about 30 seconds more.
- Add tofu and veggies to rice mixture. Top with green onions.
Meals and snacks for the day:
- brown rice topped with arugula, 1 fried eggs, and chopped tomato
- cappuccino made with lactose-free milk and 1 shot espresso
- Lunch (same as day 8!)
- leftover Greek quinoa salad
- leftover salmon
- carrot sticks
- 1/2 Chunky Monkey Smoothie
- green tea
- brown rice thin stacker (a thinner, smaller version of your classic rice cake) topped with PB&J and pepitas
- fried rice (see recipe above)
- 1 square of dark chocolate and a large strawberry for dessert!
- GF toast topped with PB and banana