Elimination Diet Day 3
Better late than never…I almost didn’t write my progress for day 3, but I’m sticking to it! I’ve definitely had some moments of “hanger” over the last few days for the foods that I typically eat. I cannot stress enough that meal planning and shopping ahead of time is key!
I tried out my brown rice pasta for dinner. Verdict - not my favorite. I love pasta, but these noodles had a pretty gummy texture, so I think I’ll have to experiment with different types. I did use a can of Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes for my sauce, which have great flavor and no high FODMAP ingredients (as far as I can tell). Most pre-made pasta sauces contain garlic and/or onions, which are both high in FODMAPs. I heated up a quick “homemade” tomato sauce using the canned tomatoes and added capers, salt, and oregano. It wasn’t bad for a super quick dinner, but my sauce flavor could use a little love!
Another realization I had - I’ve been eating a LOT of corn (tortillas, chips), oats (oatmeal), and rice (brown rice, rice cakes, rice flour, bread). These are items I know are safe and that I have on hand, but I’d like to branch out and get some variety in this limited diet! What are other grains that are low FODMAP? Quinoa, buckwheat groats, hulled millet, and pearl barley! Another wonderful realization (which may take some hunting and ingredient reading) - apparently some sourdough breads are considered low FODMAP! I do miss the chewiness of “normal” bread. 😉
Meals and snacks for the day:
- steel-cut oats topped with blueberries, walnuts, and cinnamon
- cappuccino made with lactose-free milk and 1 shot of espresso
- GF corn tortillas with red bell pepper, tomato, eggs, shredded cheddar cheese (melted on tortillas first - yum), olive oil, and salt and pepper
- few small slices of avocado
- Kate Scarlata’s Chunky Monkey Smoothie (quite tasty! made with lactose-free milk instead of yogurt because I was out of lactose-free yogurt)
- (not pictured) few blue corn chips munched on while dinner was cooking
- brown rice pasta topped with red sauce (can of fire-roasted tomatoes, capers, olives, salt, and oregano)
- sautéed green beans (olive oil, salt and pepper)
- GF chocolate chip peanut butter cookie (addicting!)
- 12oz beer (Friday - whoo!)
- 2 rices cakes topped with peanut butter and banana slices (oops - almost forgot to take a pic!)