Farro and Kale Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
Hello foodies! It has been a LONG time since my last post - it feels good to be back! I’ve been busy in my dietetic internship on my way to becoming a Registered Dietitian (whoo!). I’ll officially be done at the end of March, which means more blogging in the future… 😉
I recreated this recipe over the summer after a warm bike ride to a restaurant called The Commons. I ordered this farro and kale salad that was the perfect combination of chewy farro, massaged kale, and crispy apples tossed in a light apple cider vinaigrette. I quickly made notes in my phone so I could recreate it at home. I decided to go with a pomegranate vinaigrette from America’s Test Kitchen, which is AMAZING. But this salad would pair well with many dressings!
Kale has been in the “health food” spotlight for a while now - it’s nutrient dense and packed with fiber! I don’t know about you, but this nutritious green can be pretty tough when eaten raw. Massaging your kale before using it makes a WORLD of difference! Never massaged kale before? Check it out here!
FARRO AND KALE SALAD WITH POMEGRANATE VINAIGRETTE
Recipe inspired by a delicious salad I had at The Commons. Dressing recipe from America’s Test Kitchen The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook
- 2 apples, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 bunch lacinato kale (aka: dino kale, Tuscan kale)
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1 cup farro
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Goat cheese, for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Rinse farro and place in a pot with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Drain off excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, toast pecans in the oven or in a frying pan. If toasting in the oven, spread pecans on a sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until slightly toasty, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If toasting in a pan, spread pecans in an even layer on a frying pan. Place over medium heat and stir frequently. Watch them like a hawk! Once they start to brown, it will happen quickly. Remove nuts from pan to prevent further toasting.
- Wash, de-stem, and chop kale into bite size pieces. Massage kale until tender.
- Combine apples, kale, arugula, farro and pecans in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine all vinaigrette ingredients except for the olive oil. While whisking mixture, slowly add olive olive.
- Add vinaigrette to salad to taste. Top with crumbled goat cheese, if desired.